Sugar and Spice

The journal of a young lawyer's efforts to lose weight and regain her former hottie-ness.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Isn't being a girl great?

Yes, I have been AWOL for a few days. There isn't much to report. My most recent visit to the scale (last night before bed) was a disappointing one: 204.0- although, I don't really believe that it is a true gain. I have been shockingly good. However, I am on my period, and I think that has something to do with the situation.

Unlike most people, my weight tends to go DOWN during PMS (by about 5 pounds) and then shoots back up again when I finally start. I hadn't been weighing myself regularly prior to what I THOUGHT was PMS week, but ended up being my monthly visit a week early. Now I think it is possible that my initial measurement was artificially depressed. If that were the case, 204 would actually be a victory...but perhaps I am merely psyching myself out? I don't know, but I have to keep the faith.

I suppose that this is yet another reason that men have it so much easier when it comes to losing weight. Not only do they have higher metabolisms and drop weight like a tree shedding leaves, but they don't have to deal with the added challenge of hormone fluctuations. I know that most of my weight problem stems from emotional/binge eating, but I know that it is also affected by my time of the month- in both positive and negative ways. The week before my period, it typically feels like there is not enough food in the world to fill my stomach. Then, the week after- I feel like I could cruise all day on a few peanut butter and crackers. In my experience, birth control only makes the situation worse because I get stuck in the "week before" mode. I have never gone on it without gaining at least 20 pounds.

I have to concentrate on the bright side: guys may have it easier, but they don't look nearly as cute in bikinis when they reach their goal! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home